Another of our American favorites is Hatch Potato Salad.
Hatch Chile peppers are a generic name for New Mexican peppers. There are different types of Hatch Chile Peppers. The heat levels can vary from a fairly mild 1,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU) to around 8,000 SHU. Unfortunately you cannot but Hatch Chile peppers in Europe. My substitution is grilled Spanish padron peppers.
Check out the baked potato salad with bacon.
Recipe: American Hatch Potato Salad
Amount: 4-6 servings
1 kg potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp salt
1 handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 Hatch Chile peppers, halved and seeded or a good handful Spanish padron peppers
2 ribs celery with leaves, chopped
1/2 red onion or spring onions, finely chopped
50 g mayonnaise
200 g creme fraiche or sour cream
2 mild chili, minced or chili flakes, e.g.smoked jalapenos flakes
2 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp pickled cucumber dressing
1 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
How to … prepare the Hatch Chile peppers
- Firstly preheat the oven’s broiler or grill on the highest temperature possible. Secondly line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Thirdly cut the Chile peppers in two parts and place them cut-side down on the baking sheet. Then lightly brush the skin with oil.
- Last but not least broil or grill the peppers in the preheated oven. The skin should be heavily blistered and turning black. Make sure that they are well charred. That takes about 12 to 15 minutes. Afterwards transfer the peppers to a bowl and cover it tightly with plastic wrap. Allow the peppers to steam as they cool, about 15 minutes. Peel and chop the Chile peppers as soon as they are cold.
- I agree it’s a lot of work to prepare the Hatch Chile peppers. It’s easier with Spanish padron peppers.
How to … make the American Hatch Potato Salad
- At first place the potatoes and 2 tbsp salt in a large pot and simmer them until they are fork-tender. That takes about 6 to 8 minutes. After that set the potato cubes aside to cool.
- Meanwhile make the dressing in a big bowl. Therefore whisk mayonnaise, creme fraiche, mustard, lemon juice and the pickle dressing together with 1 tsp salt. Add pepper to taste.
- Then it’s time to add the vegetables to the bowl. Mix carefully to combine potatoes, celery, parsley, pickles and onions with the dressing. Best is to use a big spoon.
- Chill the salad in the refrigerator before serving, about 30 minutes. It gets even better if you let the salad chill in the fridge overnight.
- Season the American Hatch Potato Salad with more black pepper or salt to taste if necessary.
- At last BBQ the Spanish padron peppers (if using). Alternatively heat them in an iron skillet until the skin is heavily blistered and well charred. Serve them with the American Hatch Potato Salad.
Cooking time depends on the size of the potato cubes.
Too lazy to deal with the peppers. The recipe is just fine without the peppers.
Add 4 large eggs, hard cooked, peeled and chopped if you need some extra nutrition.