Looking for something else than a regular potato salad as a BBQ side? Try an American loaded baked potato salad or Hatch Potato Salad.
The loaded baked potato salad is inspired by the bakes potatoes. It’s richer and loaded with toppings to add extra flavour to the salad.
Recipe: American loaded baked potato salad
Amount: 4-6 servings
1 kg potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp salt
8 slices of thick-cut bacon
3 spring onions, finely chopped
Chive, cut into small rolls
200 g creme fraiche or sour cream
50 gr mayonnaise
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
Black pepper to taste
- At first place the potatoes and 2 tbsp salt in a large pot and simmer them until they are fork-tender. That takes about 6 to 8 minutes. After that set the potato cubes aside to cool.
- Meanwhile chop the bacon. Then place it in a large, deep skillet, and fry it over medium-high heat. Turn the bacon occasionally, until it is evenly browned. Next drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Allow the bacon to cool.
- Make the dressing in a big bowl. Therefore whisk the sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar, salt, and pepper well together.
- Then it’s time to add the cooled potatoes cubes to the bowl. Mix carefully to combine the potatoes and spring onions with the dressing. Best is to use a big spoon.
- Finally crumble the bacon into the salad bowl. Mix again but not too much, else you have no bacon pieces left. Decorate the salad with chive.
- Chill the baked potato salad in the refrigerator before serving, about 2 hours. It gets even better if you let the salad chill in the fridge overnight.
- Season the baked potato salad with more black pepper or salt to taste if necessary before serving.
Cooking time depends on the size of the potato cubes.
Add cheese as extra topping.