May I introduce the Béarnaise Burger! A Danish Michelin-starred chef created the burger for the fast food chain with the big M. The idea is great. However, it tastes better when you make the Béarnaise Burger yourself. This of course also includes the Béarnaise-mayo, the smoked onion puree and the fried onion rings.
Sounds like a lot of work? That’s true. But the burger is delicious. Let’s start!
Recipe: Béarnaise Burger
Amount: 4 servings
800 g minced beef, more than 10% fat, for 4x 200 g burger patties
4 brioche burger buns
1/4 lettuce, thinly sliced
8 slices cheddar cheese
100 g fried onion rings, best homemade
Béarnaise-mayo, homemade of course
Smoked onion puree
500 g onions, diced
50 ml dark balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp honey
1-1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika powder
2 tbsp butter
Smoked onion puree
- At first prepare the smoked onion puree. It takes the most time. Therefor peel and dice the onions.
- Then heat the butter in a small pan and fry the onions over medium heat until they are golden.
- Now add the smoked paprika powder, honey and balsamic vinegar. Season the onions with a little salt and pepper.
- After that simmer the smoked onion puree, on low heat until the onions are soft and caramelized. That takes 30-45 minutes. It is important to stir often so that the onions do not burn or become crispy.
- When the onions are done, keep them warm until you are ready to serve the Béarnaise burger.
- At the same time start to prepare the Béarnaise-mayo and the fried onion rings.
- Next prepare the burger patties. Season them with salt and pepper. You can fry or grill the patties according to your taste. When the patty is ready, put 2 slices of cheese on top.
- Meanwhile, heat the burger buns.
- As soon as the buns are warm, spread the Béarnaise-mayo thinly on both halves of the bun.
Then top with the smoked onion puree.
Next is the burger patty with the cheese, followed by a healthy amount of lettuce.
Top with fried onion rings and potato sticks.
- Last but not least put a decent dollop of Béarnaise-mayo on top of the burger and the top half of the bun.
The cheese melts particularly nice if you heat it up with a kitchen burner. After you placed the patty with the cheese on the burger, heat the cheese briefly until it starts to melt. Afterwards continue to build the burger.
Too lazy to make fried onion rings yourself? Then buy fried onions from the grocery store.