Danish Æbleskiver means “apple slices”. But without apples that there are no slices. No kidding 🙂
Danish Æbleskiver are typical Danish Christmas cookies. It takes a some skill and a special pan to make Æbleskiver. If you are successful, then you have a kind of donut, ball-shaped pancake. Eat them warm with jam and powdered sugar.
Recipe: Danish Æbleskiver
Quantity: approx. 30 pieces
125 g butter
375 ml buttermilk
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cardamom seeds, the black kind
250 g flour
Vanilla pod pulp
10 g baking powder
1 level tsp baking soda
1 pinch of salt
- At first separate the eggs and set the egg whites aside. Melt the butter and let it cool down.
- In the meantime, get the seeds from the cardamom capsule and grind them in a mortar. Then mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla and cardamom seeds together.
- Next whip the egg yolks with the sugar until a creamy mass is formed. Then slowly stir in the buttermilk.
From here on, it’s better to work slowly and carefully. If you stir too wildly and too much, the dough can collapse again. That would be a shame.
- Stir in the flour mixture spoon by spoon and then slowly add the butter. The result is a viscous dough. Let it rest for 15-30 minutes so that the gluten in the wheat flour can grow.
- Meanwhile beat the egg whites until stiff and then carefully mix them into the dough with a spatula.
How to … bake Danish Æbleskiver
- Heat the Æbleskiver pan and butter it lightly.
- Then pour the dough into the round molds so that they are about 3/4 full. Do not let the batter overflow. Otherwise it cannot be turned.
- As soon as the dough in the pan forms small bubbles on the surface and has risen approx. 0.5 cm, it is turned 90 degrees. Do this with a long, thin object. e.g. a kebab skewer or knitting needle.
- The dough now flows from the inside onto the bottom of the pan and the ball shape develops. Fry for a minute so that the ball closes. Then carefully turn the ball until it is perfectly browned.
- After that it’s rinse repeat. Butter the pan, fill, turn and empty the pan again until the batter is used up. Be patient. It’s a matter of practice.
- Serve Æbleskiver warm with jam and powdered sugar.
Bake all Æbleskiver at once. They can be kept fresh in the refrigerator for a few days. Æbleskiver can be reheated in the oven at 180 degrees. Baking time approx. 5 minutes. You can of course make Æbleskiver with a piece of apple. To do this, cut an apple into small pieces and add a small piece of apple to the batter before turning. Other side dishes for Danish Æbleskivers: applesauce, cinnamon and sugar, all kinds of pickled fruits or Nutella.