Garbanzos, chickpeas with a guajillo chile sauce have a nice smokey taste in my opinion. They can be eaten as a main dish, with grilled sausages or with a roast too. Garbanzos comes from the Old Spanish word “arvanço”
Did you know that the chickpea has many names and they are also called gram, or Bengal gram, garbanzo or garbanzo bean, or Egyptian pea.
Check out dried chickpeas. What makes dried peas or beans particularly attractive to me is the completely different texture. Secondly the difference in taste. Dried peas just taste better. They are also a bargain if you have to pay attention to your wallet.
Recipe: Garbanzos with a guajillo chile sauce
Amount: 6 servings
200 g cooked garbanzo beans (Chickpeas), s. notes
150 g carrots, diced
1 medium white onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 bunch parsley, chopped finely
60 ml guajillo chile salsa
4 tsp olive oil
- To begin with sort the chickpeas and clean them of dust or dirt. Small stones or pebbles accidentally can get into the package, for example. Or the chickpeas are wrinkled and old. Afterwards wash the peas thoroughly.
- Afterwards cover the peas in a sufficiently large pot or saucepan with two to three times the amount of water. Soak overnight. Drain and rinse chickpeas, discarding the liquid and set them aside.
Now it’s time to prepare the garbanzos, chickpeas with a guajillo chile sauce.
- Firstly heat up a pan and add the olive oil.
- Then add the diced carrots and sauté them for 4 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- After that add the diced onion and garlic and sauté for 4 more minutes.
- Now stir in the garbanzo beans and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- After that pour in the guajillo chile salsa. Season with black pepper and mix all well. Cook for another 2 minutes until the salsa has reduced and coats the garbanzo beans.
- Salt to taste and finally the garbanzos, chickpeas with a guajillo chile sauce are ready to be served.
There is no exact conversion between dried and soaked peas or beans. My rule of thumb generally is 100 g of dried peas or beans equals around 200-250 g of soaked ones. In that case it’s 2 ± 0.5 times the weight after an overnight soak.
The quick soaking method for beans
Place peas in a big pot. Add water to cover by 5 cm. Bring the peas and water to a boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Afterwards remove the saucepan from the heat and let the peas soak for at least an hour.
Soaked peas can be stored in the fridge up to 3 days. What must be remembered is to cover the peas with water.
Dried peas will last in a dry, dark place up to 2 years.
You wanna know more about “How to … soak dried legumes, beans or peas?”