The days are getting shorter. It’s getting colder. Under those circumstances it’s time to make yourself comfortable. “Hygge sig” how the Danes say.
Enjoy a glass of homemade Eierlikör (Advocaat, Eggnog). You don’t want to drink the supermarket stuff afterwards.
It simply tastes delicious. Besides being creamy, it’s deliciously sweet.
Recipe: Homemade Eierlikör (Advocaat, Eggnog)
Amount: ca. 1,2 litre
8 egg yolks
250 g powdered sugar
320 ml evaporated milk
1 pack of vanilla sugar
250 ml dark rum, 54%
- In order to get rid of salmonella on the egg shell, pour boiling water over the eggs. Leave them in the hot water for about 1-2 minutes.
- Mix the egg yellow, powdered sugar and vanilla sugar until frothy. After that add the evaporated milk. Slowly stir in the rum.
- Heat the mix slowly in a water bath until everything is thick and creamy. Therefore put a smaller pot in a larger one with water. Stir regularly for about 10 minutes.
- Max heat is 50C (122F). Otherwise the egg yolk will curdle. You can use a normal kitchen thermometer to control the temperature. Most important: DO NOT BOIL !!!!
- Then fill the warm drink into sterile bottles. Do not fill the bottles completely. Eggnog will get thicker when it cools.
- Shake the Eierlikör (Advocaat, Eggnog) to make it liquid again. Afterwards it can be poured easily into glasses.
- Eventually fill up with evaporated milk or rum if the drink has become too thick.
Use fresh eggs
Rum bottles are ideal for filling the Eierlikör (Advocaat, Eggnog) in
Store the homemade drink in a cool, dark place and consume it without much delay. It can be stored for about 4 weeks.
Eierlikör (Advocaat, Eggnog) with a twist: Hot white chocolate with eggnog and some cinnamon. Give it some extra whipped cream for the bad days.