Mac and Cheese is the American dream of creamy cheese sauce and pasta. Comfort food with just some ingredients. Important is also the right kind of pasta in my opinion. Macaroni, that means small, narrow, curved noodles. The smaller the better.
Recipe: Mac and Cheese
Amount: 6 serving
500 g macaroni
120 g salted butter
65 g flour
1,5 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp salt
0,5 tsp white pepper
850 g milk, 3,5% fat
225 g shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Firstly fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Stir in the macaroni. Cook them until they are al dente. Drain well.
- Meanwhile in another large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook 2-3 minutes until it thickens. Most important is that you don’t burn the roux.
- Afterwards pour in the milk and whisk until smooth you have a smooth sauce. Add salt, pepper and mustard powder. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, for 3-5 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken. Lower the heat to minimum and whisk in the cheese until melted.
- At last pour the cooked macaroni into the cheese sauce and stir well to combine. Serve hot.
- Fry diced 250 g pork belly until it is crispy. Add to the Mac and cheese.
We make 200 g noodles for 2 people if we want to have Mac and Cheese as a main dish.
Mix and match cheese. Gouda, provolone, gruyere, havarti, raclette, fontina and asiago cheese are all commonly found cheeses that are good for melting. 50% cheddar is recommended from my side for the cheese mix.
Mac and cheese and be reheated the day after. Mix in some milk and heat all while stirring constantly.
Don’t use low-fat products.
You can use other small, narrow noodles. Stay away from long, thin, perfect-for-twirling varieties like spaghetti, fettuccini, and linguini.