For fans of creamy and tangy Macaroni Salad. An All-time favorite with crunchy, fresh vegetables. I love to take a bowl along when we travel. It avoids that we get “hangry “because we can’t find anything suitable on the way and end up with McDonalds or Burgerking.
Recipe: Macaroni Salad
Amount: 6-8 servings
250 g macaroni, elbow pasta
1 1/2 tbsp salt (to cook pasta)
1 red capsicum or bell pepper , finely diced
1-2 stalks celery , finely sliced
1 large stem green onions , finely sliced
1 big carrot, grated
60 g mayonnaise
150 g sour cream
1 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp garlic powder or 1-2 pickled garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 pinch chili powder
- At first cook the pasta per packing instruction in salt water. Then drain it and let it cool down. To avoid that the pasta sticks together keep it in the pot not in a sift. Don’t rinse the pasta with cold water. The noodles will lose taste.
- Meanwhile prepare the vegetables and mix the dressing ingredients in a big bowl.
- As soon as the pasta is cold, place the pasta in the bowl. Add the remaining macaroni salad ingredients afterwards. Mix the salad carefully, else you have mashed pasta.
- Set aside for at least 20 minutes. Afterwards adjust salt, sugar, vinegar, mayo and chili to taste.
- Finally serve the macaroni salad at room temperature. Don’t serve it cold.
It’s great the next day too! Or make it ahead 😉 Just be sure to give it a good stir prior to serving.
Lots of add-in potential here. Bacon, ham, egg, grated cheese, chicken, olives, diced chillies – go wild!
But if the macaroni salad is for a side dish with other strong flavoured mains, stick with the classic version.
You can also use spiral pasta for the salad, e.g. Fusilli.