Black-Eyed Peas are a typical side dish in southern USA.
I never saw canned black-eyed peas in Europe. Regardless I swear on dried ones.
What makes dried peas or beans particularly attractive to me is the completely different texture. Secondly the difference in taste. Dried peas just taste better. They are also a bargain if you have to pay attention to your wallet.
Recipe: Southern Black-Eyed Peas
Amount: 4 servings
450 g dried black-eyed peas, sorted and rinsed
1 large onion, chopped
2 tbs olive oil
50 g bacon, diced
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp pepper
350 ml chicken broth or water
2 slices pork belly
1 piece of bacon rind
salt to taste
- To begin with sort the peas and clean them of dust or dirt. For example small stones or pebbles accidentally can get into the package. Or the peas are wrinkled. Afterwards wash the peas thoroughly.
- Afterwards cover the peas in a sufficiently large pot or saucepan with two to three times the amount of water. Soak overnight. Drain and rinse peas, discarding liquid; set aside.
Now it’s time to prepare the southern black-eyed peas.
- At first saute fry the bacon rind and diced bacon together with the onion in oil.
- Add garlic, bay leaves, thyme, pepper flakes and pepper. Fry all for 1 minute more.
- Next add the broth or water, the pork belly and the black-eyed peas. Bring all to boil. Reduce the heat at this time and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until the black-eyed peas are tender. Stir occasionally and pour in more water if necessary.
- Last discard the bay leaves. Remove the pork belly and let it cool slightly. Meanwhile add salt to taste to the southern black-eyed peas. Chop the pork belly and return it to the saucepan.
- Serve Southern black-eyed peas for example with a Boston Butt, a roast, spare-ribs, ….
There is no exact conversion between dried and soaked peas or beans. My rule of thumb generally is 100 g of dried peas or beans equals around 200-250 g of soaked ones. In that case it’s 2 ± 0.5 times the weight after an overnight soak.
The quick soaking method for beans
Place peas in a big pot. Add water to cover by 5 cm. Bring the peas and water to a boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Afterwards remove the saucepan from the heat and let the peas soak for at least an hour.
Soaked peas can be stored in the fridge up to 3 days. What must be remembered is to cover the peas with water.
Dried peas will last in a dry, dark place up to 2 years.
You wanna know more about “How to … soak dried legumes, beans or peas?”