You can cook delicious dishes from beans, such as a Spanish bean stew with dried chorizo.
Dried beans or canned beans, that is the question? What makes dried beans particularly attractive to me is the completely different texture. Secondly the difference in taste. Dried beans just taste better. They are also a bargain if you have to pay attention to your wallet.
Recipe: Spanish bean stew with dried chorizo
225 g dried white beans
200 g dried chorizo, cut into cubes
100 g bacon, diced
1 piece of bacon rind
400 g tomatos
200 g red wine
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced or pressed
1 sprig of rosemary
1 sprig of thyme
1 bay leaf
- To begin with sort the beans and clean them of dust or dirt. For example small stones or pebbles accidentally can get into the package. Or the beans are wrinkled. Afterwards wash the beans thoroughly.
- Secondly cover the beans in a sufficiently large pot or saucepan with two to three times the amount of water. Soak overnight. The beans swell up a lot. If they don’t, then they were either too old or something was wrong. In case this happens, do not use the beans. Pour away the soaking water before cooking the beans. s. Notes.
- Now it’s time to cook the beans. Firstly fry the bacon rind in a large saucepan. Then add the bacon and chorizo cubes with the rosemary and thyme.
- Next add the chopped onion and fry for 5 more minutes.
- Last stir in the other ingredients and simmer for one to two hours.
You want the beans to be soft but not mushy. You can test this by crushing a bean between your fingers or with a fork. If the bean is still hard or not yet cooked, continue cooking it lightly. Check whether it is cooked every 10 minutes.
Sides for Spanish bean stew with dried chorizo
- Fresh white bread
Caution: do not eat raw beans!
Many beans contain poisonous phaseolins. Metabolic disorders and poisoning can occur. If the beans are soaked, the vegetables wash out the toxins. To be sure pour away the soaking water.
There is no exact conversion between dried and soaked beans. My rule of thumb generally is 100 g of dried beans equals around 200-250 g of soaked beans. In that case it’s 2 ± 0.5 times the weight after an overnight soak.
The quick soaking method for beans
Bring the beans and water to a boil in a big saucepan. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Afterwards remove the saucepan from the heat and let the beans soak for at least an hour.
The quick solution surely is using 500 g canned white beans. A point often overlooked is that canned beans often contain a high amount of salt.
Beans will last in a dry, dark place up to two years.
You wanna know more about “How to … soak dried legumes, beans or peas?”
Buy a big piece of bacon and dice it yourself. It tastes better and you have a piece of rind right away.
Use fresh herbs whenever possible. They just taste better.