It’s autumn and time for pumpkin dishes. Did you know there are at least 142 types of pumpkins? I didn’t! Choose your favorite pumpkin and after that we make a squash daal.
There are for example Hokkaido Pumpkins, Kabocha Squash, Acorn Squash, Butternut Squash, Spaghetti Squash, Fairytale Pumpkins, green ones, yellow ones, orange ones, and and and.
Recipe for Squash, Pumpkin Daal
1 small squash (e.g. Hokkaido)
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp black, yellow or brown mustard seeds
1 medium onion; diced
3 cloves garlic; minced
2 cm piece fresh ginger; minced or grated
1 piece fresh turmeric, grated or 1 tsp turmeric powder
2 small fresh red chilies
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
10 grape or cherry tomatoes; halved
200 g (1 cup) red lentils
480ml (2 cups) chicken stock or vegetable stock, s. notes
480ml (2 cups) water
salt and pepper to taste
- Firstly wash and clean the squash. Remove the seeds. Then cut the Hokkaido into large pieces. This pumpkin doesn’t need to be peeled.
Secondly steam the squash in a pot until it is mushy. Mash it and set it aside.
- Put oil into a large pan and add the black mustard seeds. Heat them until they pop.
- Add the onion straightaway and sauté until it becomes soft.
- Next add garlic and ginger and sauté for another 2 minutes.
Add chilies. Stir in the curry powder, turmeric, crushed coriander and cumin seeds.
Sauté while stirring for another minute or two.
- Afterwards put in the halved tomatoes and the red lentils.
- Add stock and water and bring to a boil. Then add the mashed squash.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until you are happy with the consistency.
- Lastly add salt and pepper as well as lime juice to taste.
Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- In general I enjoy the Daal without any sides. If you want a more substantial dish, serve it with basmati rice or naan.
Whole spices simply taste better. Crush them yourself. If they are not available, use ground ones.
Fresh is the magic word. Use fresh ingredients like e.g. garlic, ginger, turmeric.
Fresh turmeric is delicious but a mess. Wear rubber gloves and clean your tools after use without delay. Else you have yellow spots everywhere. I recommend to wash it, remove the worst dirt and afterwards grate it including peel.
No stock available? No worries, use more water instead.